Sulmona has various piazzas, churches and palaces of historical and tourist interest. Some of these include:
Cattedrale di San Panfilo. The city's cathedral, sitting on the northwest side of the old city and was built on the site of a Roman temple. It contains a crypt which retains its Romanesque appearance despite the 18th Century renovation of the main church.
Piazza XX Settembre. One of the main squares of the city, including a bronze statue of the Roman poet Ovid.
Corso Ovidio. The city's main thoroughfare connects the cathedral and the major piazzas and is lined by elegant covered arcades, shops, cafes, palaces and churches.
Palazzo Annunziata and Chiesa della SS. Annunziata. The Palace, one of the rare examples of late medieval/early Renaissance architecture in Sulmona that survived the earthquake of 1706. Its facade contains fine sculpture and tracery work. Inside the Palazzo is a museum showing the Roman history of the city as well as various artifacts. The church is a fine example of Baroque architecture and has a beautiful interior and bell tower.
Piazza Garibaldi is the largest square in town with a large baroque era fountain. A Palio style medieval festival and horse race known as the Giostra Cavalleresca takes place here every year in the Summer. At Easter, crowds gather to witness the Madonna che Scappa. This ceremony involves the procession of a statue of the Madonna who is carried across the square while the bearers run to encounter a statue of the resurrected Christ on the other side of the square. On the south side of the Piazza is the 12th Century Gothic aqueduct. The square hosts a market twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
The remains of the ancient city are of little interest as ruins, but indicate the existence of a considerable town; among them are the vestiges of an amphitheatre, a theatre, and thermae, all of them located outside the gates of the modern city. About 3 km from the city, at the foot of Monte Morrone, are some ruins of reticulated masonry, traditionally believed to be Ovid's villa. Today, they are more properly identified as the sanctuary of Hercules Curinus. Nearby is the Badia Morronese, a large (c. 119x140 m) religious complex located near Pope Celestine V's hermitage. It was founded by Celestine as a chapel in 1241, and was enlarged and later made into a convent.
The Church of the Holy Annunziata (and Town Museum)
Together with the adjacent church, which was completely rebuilt after an earthquake in 1706, the huge complex is a synthesis of four centuries of art from Sulmona, i.e. a mixture of late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles.
The big soaring columns of the church's facade, the wonderful mullioned window with three lights, the flowered ornaments of the first portal, the elegant mullioned windows with two lights and the sculptures in the central portal show a combination of local and foreign - Lombard and Tuscan - art tradition.
In the past the palace was a hospital and the magistrate's house, today it is the seat of the Town Museum. The bell-tower, 65.50 meters high, was built in the second half of the XVI century.
Sulmona is the home of the Italian confectionery known as confetti. These are delicious sugar coated almonds and are traditionally given to friends and relatives on weddings and other special occasions. Confetti can be eaten or simply used as decoration. The local artisans also color these candies and craft them into flowers and other creations. There are two main factories in town and several shops that sell these items.
Sun, Sea, Ski – All Season Holiday House Rental
6 Highcroft Close
Tel +44 (0)1908 542389
Mobile: +44 (0)7866 360063
To make an enquiry or booking now, you can also use our online form.
Have your say
Find out what our guests say about us in our guestbook.